A Day at the New Afrika Shrine


Happy new week  loves
Hope you all had a great week end, I personally did. So I am typically what you call a walkabout and I am not even apologetic about it, I am more inclined to trying out stuff and really just outgoing interms of exploring.
I recently visited Fela Shrine and I have to say it was a decision I made on the whim, yeah I am that sort of individual; always doing stuff last minute and later making promises to plan ahead the next time and still failing to do so times smh.  
Fela Kuti was a Nigerian musician and the pioneer of the Afrobeat music genre and much more, you can just look him up.  The New Afrika Shrine is an open air entertainment centre and I remember being cautioned when I first heard about it, that it is a place usually filled with people smoking and other vices but hearing that still didn’t kill my drive to go see for myself and that was what I did on a Saturday afternoon after my class.





got there with a friend and we got one of the guys working there to show us around and compensated him with N500 though he didn’t ask for it. He suggested we sit for a drink but we declined; we had other places to go to and time was of the essence but the experience was definitely good, there are spots to chill at and take snacks,food and even buy Fela merchandise.If you don't already know, this was where Wizkid shot his 'Manya' video. I have to say I was impressed with the positive vibes going on there and all the inspiring quotes I got to see.




Contrary to what I heard, the people there were quite receptive and civil towards us and they kept asking what they could do to make us comfortable. Femi Kuti was not to perform that night, a DJ was but we still couldnt stay that long, it would have been great if we had experienced it.Our tour guide couldn’t take us upstairs to the inner rooms; he said it was prohibited but he mentioned we check out the Kalakuta museum (which was Fela's home turned museum and his final resting place) for more Fela art but unfortunately when we got there, the curator was not on seat so there was no one to give us a tour of the place. 



 In case you happen to be in Lagos and you plan on going there, the tour is N1000/head and the museum is located at  Gbemisola street, Allen avenue, Ikeja.
Thanks for visiting, until next time
xx

Comments